The Malta Tourism Authority (MTA) was formally set up by the Malta Travel and Tourism Service Act (1999). This clearly defines its role – extending it beyond that of international marketing to include a domestic, motivating, directional, co-ordinating and regulatory role. The Act strengthens the public and private partnership in tourism through greater and more direct participation by the private sector in national planning and development of the industry.
Mission and Vision
The mission of the Malta Tourism Authority is to advance the economic and social activity of tourism in the national interest, by working with all stakeholders to develop a sustainable industry for current and future generations.
Our vision is to achieve a healthy, sustainable and equitable tourism sector for the Maltese Islands, attracting regular inflows of quality visitors throughout the year from a diverse range of source markets, whilst ensuring that those who choose our destination are served with professionalism and care.
The values which drive our vision and mission are those of QUALITY in everything we do, AUTHENTICITY in presenting the true character of our destination, COLLABORATION in partnering with stakeholders local and foreign, and LEADERSHIP in offering guidance and inspiration to those who operate in the tourism sector.
The Malta Tourism Authority (MTA) has a diverse role, but one which in essence is all about creating and fostering relationships. The MTA is the tourism industry’s regulator and motivator, its business partner, the country’s brand promoter, and is here to form, maintain and manage meaningful partnerships with all tourism stakeholders. Primarily, this means attracting visitors to the Islands, but also working closely alongside the private sector partners. Importantly, the MTA is also here to help strengthen the industry’s human resources, ensure the highest standards and quality of the Islands’ tourism product, and foster relations with local and international media.
The Malta Tourism Authority is here:
- To promote and advance Malta as a tourism destination.
- To advise Government on tourism operations and to issue licences under the Act.
- To contribute toward the improvement of the level of human resources in the tourism industry.
- To advise government on the planning and development of the tourism industry as well as on the infrastructure supporting the industry.
- To assist and advise on any tourism-related issues and to undertake activities, events and projects to fulfil our role.
Standards and Licensing
The MTA mission includes licensing, monitoring and control of:
- Accommodation and catering establishments;
- Travel agencies, incoming tourism agencies and destination management companies;
- Organised excursion operators; and
- Tourist guides.
If you have any comments regarding tourism services on the Islands, feel free to contact us.
Tel: 00356 22915445 / 00356 22915139
Freephone: 356 80072230 *
* Available from Monday to Friday: 08.00 - 12.30 and 13.15 - 17.00.