The Malta Tourism Authority (MTA) has a diverse role, but one which in essence is all about creating and fostering relationships. We are Malta's tourism industry regulator and motivator, its business partner, the country's brand promoter, and are here to form, maintain and manage meaningful partnerships with all tourism stakeholders.
Primarily, this means talking to visitors to the Maltese Islands, but we work closely alongside our private sector partners. More importantly, we help strengthen the industry's human resources, ensure the highest standards and quality of our tourism product, and foster relations with local and international media.
The Authority was formally set up by the Malta Travel and Tourism Service Act (1999). This legislation clearly defines our role - extending it beyond that of international marketing to include a domestic, motivating, directional, co-ordinating and regulatory role.
The Act strengthens the public and private partnership in tourism through greater and more direct participation by the private sector in national planning and development of the industry.
Our role is:
- to promote and advance Malta as a tourism destination;
- to advise Government on tourism operations and to issue licences under the Act;
- to contribute toward the improvement of the level of human resources in the tourism industry; and
- to advise government on the planning and development of the tourism industry as well as on the infrastructure supporting the industry.
We are here to assist and advise on any tourism-related issues and to undertake activities and projects to fulfil our role.
Standards and Licensing
The MTA mission includes licensing, monitoring and control of:
- Accommodation and catering establishments;
- Travel agencies, incoming tourism agencies and destination management companies;
- Organised excursion operators; and
- Tourist guides.
If you have any comments regarding tourism services on the Islands, feel free to contact us.
Tel: 00356 22915445 / 00356 22915139
Freephone: 356 80072230 *
* Available from Monday to Friday: 08.00 - 12.30 and 13.15 - 17.00.