The National War Museum represents Malta's important military role in the post-1800 period under British rule, especially during the WWII.
A key feature is the photographic panels depicting the harsh conditions endured by the civilian population and the extent of war damage during the crucial war years of 1940-1943.
Several principal exhibits are displayed in the main hall, such as the Italian E-Boat, a Bofors anti-aircraft gun, the Willis Jeep ‘Husky', the Gloster Gladiator ‘Faith', the George Cross, the Book of Remembrance and the illuminated Scroll presented by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Certainly worth examining are the prestigious awards and decorations received by Maltese servicemen and civilians during WWII for acts of bravery and sacrifice.
The left annex is mainly dedicated to the Royal Navy where various uniforms, insignia, equipment, Malta convoys, a section of a Spitfire, a Junkers Juno engine, a Messerschmitt wing, propellers, armaments, instruments, as well as relics and pictorial material relating to Axis raids are all displayed.
NOTICE OF CLOSURE
The National War Museum closed to the general public on Sunday the 21st of September 2014.
The newly restored Fort St Elmo will host the new Military History Museum. Opening to the public later on this year.
SEE PANORAMIC IMAGE