Városok és Falvak

SAN LAWRENZ

22A, Triq id-Duluri, San Lawrenz, SLZ 1261, Gozo

San Lawrenz

San Lawrenz is a small hilltop village near some of the Gozo's most spectacular coastline at Dwerja.

The village is characterised by 17th century houses, many with elaborately carved stone balconies. Its parish church was built around 120 years ago in baroque style. It contains many beautiful works of art by well-known local artists such as Guiseppe Cali'. The area around San Lawrenz records almost all periods in the Islands' history. Archaeological remains include another set of the Islands' enigmatic, prehistoric 'cart ruts'; evidence of a Carthaginian temple; and a Roman tomb.

From the time of the Knights comes the legendary Fungus Rock at Dwerja. Few rocks can claim such historical importance as this giant. It is home to a plant, mistakenly called a fungus, which was reputed to have exceptional healing powers. It was so prized by the Knights used Dwerja Tower, built in 1651 as part of the line of coastal watch towers, to protect the rock and guard the plant for their use only.

At Dwerja too is the Inland Sea, a shallow inlet with a small tunnel through the rock face as access to the sea.

The Dwerja coastline is embedded with fossils, which include the teeth of enormous shark from the Miocene period.

Elérhetőségek

  • Elérhetőség: San Lawrenz Local Council
  • Telefon: +356 21563556
  • Telefon: +356 21563656

Felszereltség és szolgáltatás

  • ÉtteremÉtterem
  • Mozgássérült parkolóMozgássérült parkoló
  • Mozgássérültek fogadására felszerelveMozgássérültek fogadására felszerelve
  • Nyilvános telefonNyilvános telefon
  • Nyilvános WCNyilvános WC
  • ParkolóParkoló
  • Partmenti elhelyezkedésPartmenti elhelyezkedés
  • Üzletek 1 km-en belülÜzletek 1 km-en belül
  • WiFiWiFi
Megtekintés a térképen