Visitor Attractions

FORT RINELLA

Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna, St. Rocco Road, Kalkara, Malta

Fort Rinella

Built in 1878 by the British, Fort Rinella was the most technologically advanced war machine of its day. Powered by coal-fired steam driven hydraulics it could fire its monstrous 100-ton gun every six minutes, sending a one-ton shell up to a distance of eight miles to pierce no less than 21 inches (65cm) of ship armour!

Fort Rinella was one of four 100-ton gun batteries built in Malta and Gibraltar for the protection of the harbours. These forts became necessary with the building of two powerful Italian battleships; the Duilio and Dandalo, both armed with four 100-ton guns each in revolving turrets. At the time, Britain used the Mediterranean as a quick route to India and it was feared that the growing naval power of Italy might tip the balance of power in the region.

The 100-ton gun was first developed for Italy by the great British Victorian inventor and industrialist from Newcastle, Sir William George Armstrong. The 100-ton gun was the world's largest muzzle-loading cannon ever to be built. It has a calibre of 17.72-inches (45cm) and it is 35 feet (11m) long. It fired explosive elongated shot using a quarter of a ton of black powder. The cost of each round equaled the daily salary of 2,700 soldiers!

 


 

Opening Times

Fort Rinella is open Mon - Sat from 10.00 till 17.00hrs.

Closed on New Year's Eve, New Year, Good Friday, Easter, Santa Marija 15 August, Christmas Eve and Christmas.

Fort Rinella is managed by Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna - the Malta Heritage Trust.

 

 

コンタクトインフォメーション

  • 電話: +356 21800992

施設とサービス

  • 品質保証品質保証
  • 沿岸部ロケーション沿岸部ロケーション
  • 駐車場駐車場

基本情報

  • 開始日:
    • 月曜日
    • 火曜日
    • 水曜日
    • 木曜日
    • 金曜日
    • 土曜日
地図上で見る