View Map
Winter Video
Towns & Villages

MELLIEĦA

126, Triq il-Mitħna l-Ġdida, Mellieħa, MLĦ 1107, Malta

Mellieħa

Mellieħa was once an isolated 15th century hamlet perched on the ridge overlooking Għadira Bay.

It was abandoned for a couple of centuries because of its vulnerability to pirate and Saracen attack. Re-inhabited in the early 18th century, it has since developed into a flourishing town though it retains a quaint historic centre with narrow streets and stepped alleys. From the terrace of the Parish Church, there is a panoramic view over Mellieħa Bay and the surrounding countryside.

Beneath the church is the Chapel of the Blessed Virgin, a national shrine. A fresco of the Madonna and Child is said to have been painted by St. Luke. This legend has made the troglodyte chapel into a popular place of pilgrimage. The walls are lined with ex-voto offerings and paintings - a testimony to the devotion of the people.

Mellieħa today is a modern town noted for its large private villas and houses which have been built on land overlooking the bay. While the town has developed into a resort, it has managed to retain some of its rural character.

Contact Information

  • Contact: Mellieħa Local Council
  • Phone: +356 21521333
  • Phone: +356 21521666

Facilities & Services

  • Disabled Facilities
  • Disabled Parking
  • Garden
  • Parking
  • Public Payphone
  • Public Toilets
  • Restaurant
  • Seaside Location
  • Shops within 1 km
  • Water Sports
  • WiFi
View on Map
Malta Tourism Authority