FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS AND LOGISTICAL SUPPORT FOR FILMING IN MALTA
The Malta Tourism Authority is offering financial assistance for film and television productions that choose to film in Malta depicting ‘Malta’ directly.
Depending on the Authority’s evaluation of a production’s suitability to the marketing of the Maltese Islands, certain expenditure of the production costs will be covered directly by the Authority to facilitate the filming activities during principal photography.
The MTA will consider partially sponsoring the following elements of the production which also includes the initial scouting and technical recces.
- Flights to and from Malta where there are direct routes served by Air Malta.
- Transportation of cargo where there are direct routes served by Air Malta.
- Locations fees in public areas that are administered by the Central Government or local councils.
- Hotel accommodation for cast and crew
- Transport costs of production vehicles.
- Assistance may either be given in terms of directly supporting the above items of expenditure or in the form of a lump sum grant established on the basis of estimated costings
Although each production is treated on a case by case basis, the film production company will be required to comply with the following artistic merits in order to qualify for consideration for financial assistance.
- Malta to be featured prominently in the script and locations featured to be authentic.
- In a TV series, episodes should depict or mention Malta with a minimum of 50% in each episode to be shot locally.
- A number of promotional slots are to be featured in TV films/episodes before the scheduled screening.
- The Authority will give priority to productions that will broadcast a documentary on the ‘The Making of’ the film/episode. A copy is to be forwarded to the authority.
- The production company is to engage the services of a local production manager and priority should be given to hiring local cast and crew.
- The MTA are authorized to use the footage for marketing purposes only after the film/TV episode have been released to the general public.
- Proposals will be reviewed on a case by case basis and only those considered beneficial to MTA’s marketing plan for the country concerned will be selected for assistance
The Malta Film Commission offers specific financial incentives to audiovisual productions shooting on location in Malta. The incentives are in the form of a cash rebate of up to 25% with an additional of 2% if Malta is culturally featured as Malta) on costs incurred on EU crew and services during filming in Malta.
Cash rebates are subject to State Aid Approval.
There has never been a better time to film in Malta.