Conference Venues

MALTA MARITIME MUSEUM

Ex Naval Bakery Vittoriosa, CSP 08, Malta

Malta Maritime Museum

The Maritime Museum charts Malta's maritime history and lore within a Mediterranean context and also illustrates the global nature of seafaring and its impact on society.

The Museum is housed in the former British Naval Bakery at Vittoriosa, one of the Three Cities overlooking Grand Harbour. The building, designed by British architect William Scamp, was erected between 1842 and 1845 on the site of the old covered slipway of the Knights of St John.

The bakery was the hub of the Victualling Yard and supplied the Royal Navy with its daily requirements of bread and biscuit. After World War II, it was converted into offices and stores and as the headquarters of the Admiralty Constabulary. The building remained part of the naval establishment up to the closure of the British base in 1979.

On entering the Museum, you will find the ‘Anadrian Hall' which exhibits the engine room machinery of the Anadrian, a steam-driven grab dredger built in 1951 for Malta by Fergusson Brothers of Port Glasgow. The first floor houses a display on the Merchant Navy and exhibits a collection of detailed ship replicas and paintings illustrating 19th and 20th century vessels most of which served on the Malta run. The nearby St Angelo Hall, the museum's events and lecture room, is decorated with an array of colourful ship badges.

Organised into thematic and chronological sectors, the Main Hall illustrates developments from ancient times to the end of the rule of the Order of St John in Malta. Navigational charts, nautical instruments and a series of portraits set the scene for the navy of the Order of St John. This display includes paintings, weapons, uniforms, anchors, maps, models and other artefacts dating from 1530 to 1798.

An entire room is dedicated to traditional Maltese sea crafts and other objects that indicate popular traditions and Malta's long-standing maritime vocation. In the Customs Hall, there is a variety of standard weights and measures and other objects including the uniform of an inspector of Marine Police which bear witness to the importance of Malta's historic links with maritime commerce and traffic.

For almost two hundred years, Malta was the home of the British Mediterranean fleet. The Royal Navy kept a vast establishment on the Islands. The final hall presents an overview of Malta as a naval base, and depicts aspects of naval and civilian life, both leisure and work. There is also a wide collection of paintings, photographs, models, uniforms, weapons, instruments and other artefacts that illustrate the history of the Royal Navy in the Mediterranean during the 19th and 20th centuries and attest to the Navy's impact on the economy and social life on the Maltese islands.

 

Informacje kontaktowe

  • Telefon: +356 21660052
  • Telefon: +356 21809090

Obiekty i usługi

  • Dostęp do InternetuDostęp do Internetu
  • Honorowanie głównych kart kredytowychHonorowanie głównych kart kredytowych
  • Sklepy w promienie do 1 kmSklepy w promienie do 1 km
  • Toalety publiczneToalety publiczne
  • Umiejscowienie nadmorskieUmiejscowienie nadmorskie
  • WiFiWiFi

Informacje ogólne

  • Stosowane języki:
  • Obszar o największej powierzchni (m2):
  • Maksymalna powierzchnia – teatr:
  • Maksymalna powierzchnia – zajęcia:
  • Maksymalna powierzchnia – bankiet:
  • Maksymalna powierzchnia – recepcja:
Pokaż na mapie