Fortifications & Towers

Malta has often been called the ‘Fortress Island' due to the great mass of military architecture that can be seen everywhere. This is a legacy of the islands' history which saw them being fought over, time and again, due to their strategic location and deep, safe harbours.

The fortifications that can be seen today come from two distinct periods: those of the Knights and those of the British era. These imposing reminders of the islands' wartime past fascinate not only because they are a feat of military engineering, but also because they are reminiscent of an age of chivalry, crusading, heroism and legendary battles.

Indoors, start at museums such as the Maritime Museum in Vittoriosa, the National War Museum and the Armoury, both in Valletta. Outdoors, stroll along Valletta's bastions or venture a tour of the Victoria Lines fortifications running along the Great Fault east to west across Malta. Wherever you go, you'll find remnants of war, from 17th century coastal forts and watch towers to WWII pillboxes.


Qalet Marku Tower

Qalet Marku Tower

Tul il-Kosta, Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq, Malta This is one of Grand Master de Redin's watch towers and is situated a few hundred metres from the Għallis Tower.
Tel:+356 21225952
Read More
Santa Maria Tower Comino

Santa Maria Tower Comino

Island of Comino, Santa Marija Bay, Comino The Santa Marija Tower on Comino formed part of the early system of towers which the Order set up to facilitate defence and communication between the Ċittadella in Gozo and Mdina.
Tel:+356 21225952
Read More
St. Agatha's Tower (The Red Tower)

St. Agatha's Tower (The Red Tower)

Triq tad-Dahar, Mellieħa, Malta Also known as the Red Tower (due to the colour it was painted and restored in), Grand Master Lascaris built St. Agatha’s Tower in 1647. At the time of its construction, it was the furthest outpost from Valletta and served as a signal post for communication with Gozo.
Tel:+356 21225952
Read More
Tal-Ġordan Lighthouse

Tal-Ġordan Lighthouse

6, Triq Dun Karm Caruana, Għasri, GSR 1021, Gozo Għasri is home to the first lighthouse ever to be built in Gozo, known as Ta' Ġordan.
Tel:+356 21558686, +356 21515865
Read More
The Citadel

The Citadel

Banca Giuratale, Pjazza Indipendenza, Victoria, VCT 1020, Gozo The Citadel in Gozo owes its roots to the late medieval era, but the hill has been settled since Neolithic times. After the Great Siege of 1565, the Knights set about re-fortifying it to provide refuge and defence against further attack.
Tel:+356 21563344, +356 21563355
Read More