Churches & Religious Sites

CHAPELLE DE SANTA MARIJA

Bir Miftuħ, limits of Gudja, Malta

Chapelle de Santa Marija

Cette chapelle fut construite vers 1430 et est l'un des exemples les mieux conservés d'une église du XVe siècle à Malte. Il a quelques fresques intéressantes et offre un cadre idéal pour le festival de musique annuel organisé chaque printemps par Din l-Art Helwa.

This Chapel located in Gudja is one of the best preserved examples of a parish church of the fifteenth century. It was declared a parish in 1436 by Bishop Senatore de Mello and served as such until 1676 when the Parish Church of Gudja was built. It was never in the centre of a village but was a parish church that served several villages. The Chapel is free standing and shows a growing confidence in the handling of stone structures. It has a plain rectangular plan and measures about eleven by fourteen metres. The remains of a fresco covering the inside western wall were discovered between 1978 and 1980 having been covered by six layers of lime.

Coordonnées

  • Contact: Din l-Art Ħelwa
  • Téléphone: +356 21225952
  • Fax: +356 21225952

Equipements & services

  • Emplacement ruralEmplacement rural

Informations générales

  • Jours d'ouverture:
    • Dimanche
  • Heures d'ouverture: Open first Sunday of the month 0930hrs till 1200hrs, and by appointment.
Voir sur la carte