Churches & Religious Sites

CHAPEL OF SANTA MARIJA

Bir Miftuħ, limits of Gudja, Malta

Chapel of Santa Marija

This chapel was built in around 1430 and is one of the best preserved examples of a fifteenth-century parish church in Malta. It has some interesting frescoes and provides the ideal setting for the annual Bir Miftuh music festival organised each spring by Din l-Art Helwa.

This Chapel located in Gudja is one of the best preserved examples of a parish church of the fifteenth century. It was declared a parish in 1436 by Bishop Senatore de Mello and served as such until 1676 when the Parish Church of Gudja was built. It was never in the centre of a village but was a parish church that served several villages. The Chapel is free standing and shows a growing confidence in the handling of stone structures. It has a plain rectangular plan and measures about eleven by fourteen metres. The remains of a fresco covering the inside western wall were discovered between 1978 and 1980 having been covered by six layers of lime.

Contact Information

  • Contact: Din l-Art Ħelwa
  • Phone: +356 21225952
  • Fax: +356 21225952

Facilities & Services

  • Countryside LocationCountryside Location

General Information

  • Opening Days:
    • Sunday
  • Opening Hours: Open first Sunday of the month 0930hrs till 1200hrs, and by appointment.
View on Map