Churches & Religious Sites

ST. GEORGE'S BASILICA

Charity Street, Victoria, Gozo

St. George's Basilica

The parish originated in medieval times (definitely before 1450) and the foundation stone of the present church was laid in 1672. It is rightly referred to as the marble basilica, as it is entirely covered with marble.

The bronze and gold gilded canopy over the high altar is indeed impressive, but the main attraction is a statue of the patron saint, St. George, sculpted in wood by Pawlu Azzopardi in 1838. It is the first titular statue acquired by a parish church in Gozo.

All paintings in the dome and ceiling are by Giovanni Battista Conti of Rome. Mattia Preti, Giuseppe Cali, Michele Busuttil, Giuseppe Fenech, Francesco Zahra, Fortunato Venuti, Injazju Cortis, Ramiro Cali', Filippo Cosimo, Giuseppe D'Arena, Salvatore Bondi', Roberto Dingli and Stefano Erardi are other famous artists.

The liturgical feast of St. George Martyr falls on April 23rd.

コンタクトインフォメーション

  • コンタクト: Gozo Diocese
  • 電話: +356 21551211

施設とサービス

  • 町/市 ロケーション町/市 ロケーション
  • 駐車場駐車場

基本情報

  • 開始日:
    • 月曜日
    • 火曜日
    • 水曜日
    • 木曜日
    • 金曜日
    • 土曜日
    • 日曜日
地図上で見る