Towns & Villages

ĦAŻ-ŻEBBUĠ

Triq l-Isqof Caruana, Ħaż-Żebbuġ, ŻBĠ 1905, Malta

Ħaż-Żebbuġ

Haz-Zebbug has a village-like atmosphere although it has been a large residential area for centuries.

It was elevated to 'city' status by Grand Master de Rohan in 1777. Its city status is marked by the monumental arch on the main approach road. Haz-Zebbug was for centuries the main agricultural village of Malta and the centre for the cash crop, cotton. Haz-Zebbug houses some magnificent patricians' houses and palazzos and fine examples of 16th to 18th century domestic architecture. The name 'Haz-Zebbug' means village of olives. In times past, it has seen olive oil production as well.

Haz-Zebbug is also renowned for the great and the good of Maltese history. It has produced more distinguished Maltese - artists, poets, sculptors, composers and notable priests - than any other village on the Islands.

Haz-Zebbug's parish church, dedicated to St. Philip, was built in the early 17th century. It is attributed to the son of Gerolamo Cassar, the Maltese architect of St. John's Co-Cathedral, Valletta. The interior is lavish baroque and the side chapels have fine example of Maltese scenography. Haz-Zebbug is also home to numerous early chapels: the oldest is the Chapel of St. Roque (1539) which is open the first Sunday of the month from 9.30 am till noon; the most ornate is the small church Tal-Abbandonati (1758), a short walk to the right of St. Philip's.

Контактная информация

  • Контакт: Żebbuġ Local Council
  • Телефон: +356 21468181
  • Телефон: +356 21460404
  • Факс: +356 21463107

Инфраструктура и услуги

  • WiFiWiFi
  • Инфраструктура для инвалидовИнфраструктура для инвалидов
  • Магазины в радиусе 1 кмМагазины в радиусе 1 км
  • Место расположенияМесто расположения
  • Общественные туалетыОбщественные туалеты
  • Общественный платный телефонОбщественный платный телефон
  • ПарковкаПарковка
  • Парковка для инвалидовПарковка для инвалидов
  • РесторанРесторан
  • СадСад
Вид на карте