Churches & Religious Sites

ST. MARY OF JESUS CHURCH (TA' GIEŻU)

St. Ursola Street, Valletta, Malta

St. Mary of Jesus Church (Ta' Gieżu)

One of two Franciscan churches in Valletta, the St. Mary of Jesus Church (a.k.a. Ta’ Gieżu) was built in the early 1570s and designed by the famous Maltese architect Gerolamo Cassar (1520-c.1586). It is situated at the junction of St. John’s and St. Ursula streets. The façade was replaced in 1680 to the design of Mederico Blondel. Highlights are the painting of Our Lady of Sorrows by Stefano Erardi (1630-1716) and the greatly revered crucifix (believed to be miraculous), the work of Sicilian friar Umile Pintorno from around 1630. Another fine painting dated 1600 is the ‘Visitation of Our Lady to St. Elizabeth’ by the Sicilian artist Antonio Catalano.

Kontaktuppgifter

  • Telefon: +356 22915440
  • Fax: +356 21255844

Resurser och tjänster

  • Stad/OrtStad/Ort

Allmän information

  • Öppettider:
    • Måndag
    • Tisdag
    • Onsdag
    • Torsdag
    • Fredag
    • Lördag
    • Söndag
Visa på karta